Thursday, December 27, 2007

We Have Lift Off!


Mom was visited by her oncology and urology team mid-morning, and both agreed that she can go home this afternoon. She is trending in the right direction: she doesn't have diarrhea every time she urinates, her stool is more formed, she hasn't needed any nausea or pain medication, and she tolerated a small breakfast of coffee, eggs, and toast without difficulty. She was actually up and bathed by 6am today! Think she was trying to send them a message?


She is no longer on the flagyl, but will remain on vancomycin for several weeks. Other than the vanco, her blood pressure medication is the only other thing she'll have to take on a daily basis. How great is that? Of course, we have all sorts of anti-nausea and pain meds stock-piled at home, but hopefully it'll stay that way.


Knock on wood.


I am off to pick up some supplies for the annual Guerlain-with-a-handful-of-Stancioffs-and-a-dash-of-Delavigne New Year's Gathering in Montpelier, VT. In honor of my mother, who never travels to this event without one, I will buy and bring my very own dobie pad. Every time I wash a dish (and there will be many dishes to wash), I will think, "This one's for you, Mom."

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Monica -- Really hope you have a fun and relaxing time up North. I don't think you should be required to to ANY dishes. Just sit and get waited on -- you know, demand stuff. (I know you can do it, I've seen it!) Hope Susan will let me know if she has a task for me in the New Year. Meanwhile, fingers crossed that sleepovers at St. Frannie are a thing of the past. xoxo E

Margot Larson said...

Liz - Thinking of you.
One of my Christmas presents from a friend and her daughter was a book entitled There's no place like HOPE by Vickie Girard. It's a guide to beating cancer in mind-sized bites.
It's good reading, good tips and ideas, though not ideal as a reference book. It's worthwhile.

Her experience is making ours seem easier. Maybe in six months we should collaborate and write our own book. Perhaps we can even find the humourous side of our cancer experience.

I have a follow up visit with my Oncologist next week. I need to understand the next phase. I think I entered this whole scenario a bit naively which is good because it allowed me to forge ahead without being intimidated by odds.

Can't wait to catch up with you in person.

Love,
Margot