Monday, December 3, 2007

And We're In

Mom, her sister Claude, and myself hit the icy roads at 5:30am for our voyage to St. Francis. Yesterday Mom was hugely productive (surprise, surprise), organizing, making lists, giving us errands to run, etc. We capped the night with a cup of tea before and went to bed around 11pm. She didn't sleep great, but who would? A bit teary in the pre-op holding area, she was confident and so ready to get this over with! When asked to sign the right side of her stomach (part of the make-sure-the-right-organ-from-the-right-side-is-removed initiative), she wrote "Good-bye! -ET" with a heart around it, then from her belly button, made a dashed line that said "cut here." She also renamed her doctors Dr. Kidney (Dr. Kennedy) and Dr. Gureter (Dr. Girtsen), who, for urologists, have an impressive sense of  humor.

The boarding school student in me appreciated that they showed up in coats and ties this morning too :)

Surgery should be 5-6 hours, with up to another 4 hours in the recovery area. As soon as "Dr. Kidney" calls me, I'll post again!

9 comments:

H.F. said...

There are 8 kidneys in the Horne house these days and they're all thinking of yours today.

We're looking forward to the good news that we know awaits you!

xoxo

Susan Canedy said...

I am so confident that nothing, and I mean nothing, will keep this woman down! She will leap tall buildings with a single kidney!

Thoughts, prayers and love,

Jen said...

Just heard from Monica. There's no word yet from the doctor. Monica will post an update and soon as she hears anything! Stay tuned!

LS said...

The Sievels send their love and prayers!

Anne Boychuk said...

Anne B sends her prayers

Tom Smith said...

Check in for updates, our thoughts and pryers are with you.

Marge Fisher said...

I totally agree with Susan. Liz will be "leaping tall buildings" before we know it. Meantime we're rooting for her with all we have and hoping for a speedy recovery. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

All the best,
Marge

diane bruno said...

Liz, Thanks for including me in this blog.

First - Monica you are a real cut up. Loved your perspective (humor, love, irreverance).

Second - Liz - I've always been in your court and this truly strengthens my commitment to you and your health. I have everything crossed for you!

filomena said...

Hi Lizzie and family, I am glad and relieved that you are safely out of surgery and in recovery, at the start of your healing process. Thank God Monica kicked Howard's sorry ass out of there. I hope for good. Patient advocacy ought to hear about the Howard experience. A big bad hiring mistake. I have nearly picked up the phone to call 50 times today, but my common sense comes to the rescue. I know you are busy getting better. When you are ready, let us know. We are ready to help you in every way possible. BIG LOVE and HUGS, Filomena