Saturday, December 15, 2007

She's Going Home!!!

I talked to mom at 7:45am and she hadn't slept well, despite an ambian and being in a single. Who can blame her though- she's got a lot on her mind! I told her to try and give me a ring before she had the procedure done, but she just called and Dr. G said she's going home instead. She continues to amaze him because her creatinine levels are almost back down to normal, which means her kidney is out of danger and doing its job. As of now, no catheter into the kidney is necessary as previously planned, but she will go home with her foley catheter in to the bladder and follow up on Monday to check the creatinine and remove the foley.

Perhaps the stent just needed a bit longer to kick in and drain the entire kidney sufficiently, I'm not sure exactly, but what I am sure of is Mom is SUPER pumped to get home because her father (Papa) and sister (Natalie) are arriving in Avon this afternoon from Maine. Papa suffered a little stroke before Thanksgiving, but has been doing so well in physical therapy and has almost no residual deficits. He's living in Avon for a bit before going to Florida. There he will be followed closely by PT, a cardiologist, and will hopefully get permission to drive again- he called the prospect of not driving again "a death sentence." He's always had difficulty expressing himself, can't you tell?

So the two little patients will be at home with their respective family members responding to their beck and call, and each with a visiting nurse as well. Then I arrive home Wednesday with Gwennie to be her nurse since she's having the old wisdom teeth yanked Friday.

Now...who wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall at our house this Christmas?

I have a perma smile today :)

Now if only someone at home would answer their phone and come pick her up!

4 comments:

Audrey Thomas said...

Liz -
Just got word of your condition. I'm thankful for your daughter's blog and will use it to keep abreast of what's going on.

I am praying for your health, your family and your spirit. You're an amazing woman and one I admire from afar. May God richly bless you with rest, peace and improved health.
Love,
Audrey Thomas

Gwennie Talbot said...

Mom, if you read this, I am crossing my fingers in INTENSE magnitudes for you! My intentions are slightly self-concerning however, because I just want you to be home when I get there!

ily-h-t-t-h-s-a-d-t-t-d-s (see if you can figure that one out...)

Planet said...

Thank God.

Talbot said...

Thank goodness Mom’s Cremora levels are back to normal. I’ve witnessed how rude her pain can be….once in particular when we were at a Wal-Mart; and Elisabeth had no defense. She called her doctors right from the pharmacy counter, “Please….I’m out shopping and neglected to bring my medication.”

“Maam…we’ll have that prescription filled within minutes of your doctor calling it in,” reassured the Wal-Mart pharmacist; “Is there anything we can do in the meantime?”

Elisabeth replied as she refused to yield to the pain “Where is the shoe section of your store?”

With movements that rivaled Notre Dame’s Quasimodo, this hunched over Woman made her way to aisle 12C as she clutched her side and seemingly only had the strength to drag her left leg behind her.

Precious minutes had ticked away at which point Elisabeth gasped “See if you can find a pair of these strappy suede heels in taupe.”

Just as manna must appear from the heavens there was a “Ms. Talbot – your prescription is ready to be picked up” over the store’s intercom. I urged her to go back to the pharmacy.

“I think I’ll take a pair in burnt sienna and in cobalt,” she insisted.

Elisabeth championed the weight of her pain by holding a box of new shoes under each arm as we gingerly made our way back to the pharmacy.

Elisabeth is just wonderful…..and she’s got exquisite taste in shoes as well. I believe she asked to be released from UConn’s Medical Center only after she realized their gift shop didn’t have a pair of strappy suede heels in taupe.