Sunday, December 9, 2007

Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

You girls who grew up in the '80s probably have Paula Abdul's "Opposites Attract" in your head now, but I'm not talking a top 40 hit of our childhood, I'm talking about my mom's daily routine.

Sorry I haven't blogged since Friday morning- since returning to Boston I've been in constant contact with Mom and Coco, but haven't had the chance to write.

She's still in the hospital despite her discharge goal of this morning. Her nausea and dizziness continues to be a HUGE problem, so much so that she's been unable to eat anything of substance. She's vomited a few times, and has persistent diarrhea, which has made her team think that perhaps she has a bowel obstruction. Obstructions can be deceiving, because a patient can have diarrhea because nothing formed is able to move around the obstruction, and yet one might assume all is well because the bowels appear to be moving.

There is also some concern that she may be having an allergic reaction of sorts to her medications because no medications seem to be reducing the nausea. I don't really buy this theory, since she's on a pill form of Dilaudid, which is what was in her PCA for 24 hours, during which she had no nausea. In my book, the problems began when they removed her Scopolamine patch 72 hour after surgery. But who am I? Tomorrow I plan to talk to Dr. K and do some brain-storming. That's the tough thing about weekends...patients are passed off to a team who doesn't know the subtle nuances of the case the way their primary does.

Mom is frustrated, primarily because she had this idea that she would bounce back much sooner than she has. We keep trying to remind her that this will be a slower recovery, and the "do-er" in her needs to just get used to the idea that she will have to lay low for a very, very, long time.

Coco has been absolutely top notch, and even scored herself a visitor suite at the hospital so she can be near Mom. Their brother Thierry and his wife Julie stopped by for a surprise visit as well- just in time to pass her a bucket- but she really loved seeing their faces, none the less.

Tante Didi (Mom's Aunt) arrives tomorrow relieve Coco and take over for as long as she's needed. I don't know what we would do without family- I won't even entertain the thought!

For those who've called to offer rides, meals, visits, respit, etc. please know your offers will be kept in mind. We won't hesitate to ask for help when the time comes.

Hugs to everyone out there reading!

7 comments:

Talbot said...

The 19th of December is going to change a lot of all this....
Lovedad.

Planet said...

Regarding meals Monica, I was emailing with Tante Didi and talked about coming up some evenings to help out. What kind of foods will be on Babette's diet? I wouldn't want to show up with something she couldn't handle. Thank you again for the updates.
Good luck on the exams, does all of this count as study?
Love,
Claire

Claude said...

Liz was peaking around a lot of new corners today. I had dinner with her in her room -- yes, I said dinner. She said she had her first real night back. She just took it in little steps. Dry mouth and nausea were big issues yesterday, which she dealt with unsuccessfully with sips of water and ice chips. Today Thierry and Julie provided sugar-free sour candies and gum. The Trident Watermelon Twist was a hit, as were pineapple chunks provided by Paul.

By the time I arrived with non-pharma nausea remedies, Liz was already feeling much better. She gladly donned the "seasick" wrist bands just-in-case; but I set the fresh ginger aside till needed. Meanwhile, she'd worked up an appetite. She had a few bites of Tom McKnight's homemade chicken soup, half of a warmed Au Bon Pain croissant, half a serving of applesauce and some chamomile tea. She stopped there, not wanting to overdo it for her first meal in a week. She had a bout of cramps soon afterwards and things passed, as we'll say.

After dinner Liz enjoyed her first real laughter in over a week too. I found out that this hospital has Wi-Fi! She read the blog posts! We could barely get through them for laughing. At first I could only get her the postings, but not the comments. Then I realized that if I signed in, she could also read the comments. She was laughing so hard she had to stop at the comments on "The High Price of Gas" So many tears were rolling down her cheeks she could no longer see the words and her insides started cramping again. Another trip to the John and we decided to leave the rest of the levity till tomorrow morning.

She thanks all of you for your prayers and your humor. It will buoy her through the night as she awaits with reasonable anxiety for the pathology reports tomorrow. Miss Monica, although up in Massachusetts now, has been on top of everything and will brainstorm with the doctors tomorrow regarding balancing meds, possible reactions and new diagnostic tests. She can explain those when appropriate.

Oh, by the way, I have a great picture of the bruise the doctors left on Liz's latimus dorsi, (see Gray's Anatomy), where they removed the kidney. You'll have to pay for that one. Or, did Howard leave that bruise...

Watch out Hartford. Although Monica's departure created the vacuum that brought in tonight's freezing rains, you better brace yourselves for whatever her brainstorming will cause tomorrow!!!

Unknown said...

This is so valuable--to hear the realities of recovery from this surgery. Thank you for keeping me in touch with Liz's healing without having to disturb her by phone. I'm sending healing prayers and thoughts via this communication. I'm grateful for the opportunity to stay in contact this way. With love--Jane

Mindy said...

Dear Liz,

Your WPO sisters and I are all sending our deepest prayers for you in whatever form we use...

We're with you all the way...
GO, LIZ (in every sense of the word)!

TONS OF LOVE ALWAYS,
MINDY

Thank you, Monica, for the gift of this amazing blog!

Margot Larson said...

Good to hear that you are in the comfort of your own home and actually able to eat meals. You've almost got me beat. I've just started eating normal meals.

Remember, the magic word is PATIENCE. It takes a while to get back to "normal" and it requires so much REST while your body is recovering. That's the lesson I learned.
I'm glad to hear that you are asking for help. There's plenty of that out there. Continue to tap into it.
Can't wait until you are well enough for us all to connect.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there. It just takes time.
Margot

Marge Fisher said...

Liz,
I know it hurts but also you're doing great. While I don't know your friends, I am more than glad to help out if you want or need anything. And by the way, Monica is amazing! I look forward to her updates each day and continue to celebrate the strength and power of women. You go girl and I'll see you soon. Enjoy your beautifully decorated tree, your family and friends. Love, Marge