Wednesday, December 26, 2007

"Thank God for Small Gifts"

That's what Mom said to me this evening when she found out she didn't have to have a colonoscopy this year (she's due in 2008). Talk about looking at the glass half full!

She had a better day, complete with a visit from Didi and Gwennie. Less nausea, pain, and diarrhea, and she's even being allowed some soft solids for dinner. Apple sauce and eggs- a dinner fit for a queen.

She asked me to give her some info on Ativan, which is her new best friend. When most of us think of Ativan, we think of anxiety disorders, but it's also excellent for insomnia and nausea, especially in chemo patients. I'm so relieved that her symptoms have finally been managed well, and to know that Ativan might continue to be a good medication as we commence our dance with chemo.

I've been shopping the internet for log cabin ideas, and every time I see one with a big porch I imagine our family sitting in rocking chairs, sipping cocoa, laughing and saying, "Remember when Mom had cancer? Ahhhhh...that was sooo long ago!" Maybe Gwennie will even have a driver's license by then. Oh, the horror.

And Coco- Mom's sorry she hasn't called you back yet :) She will soon!

3 comments:

Talbot said...

The only thing worse than getting your toes crunched under a rocking chair is having your entire feets crunched under a rear tire when Gwennie is backing up.

Gwennie is a wonderful person and a great driver -- but to-date she only knows how to work well when she's moving forward.

....just like her Mom and her sister. Lovedad.

Talbot said...

And I forgot!

Make my cocoa a "Tommy Malted Milkshake Cocoa;" with a submerged Snickers Bar....but I want the foamy topping ensonced with popcorn.

TommyTommyTommy...A mess of the energy that Merle's got to be so energetic is-be coming from you.
Thank you a mess of a lot.

(Tommy should be the one to teach Gwennie that moving vehicles can also move backwards.)

Lovedad.

Lynn (Painter extroidonaire) said...

Monica,Im responding to your last paragraph! When my youngest was only a few months old my mom was diagnosed with colon cancer. She had a very rough time with the meds also and got an infection which led to a mild stroke.Within a year they found she had more cancer and had to do it all over again! It was such a difficult time! Well my youngest is turning 18 and my mom is doing great! Sometimes my brothers and i see my mom so busy and active and we say "It is hard to remember when mom had cancer...twice"! Monica and Qwennie, I know you will get there also:)