Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Pain Pain Go Away

Just back from our evening visit, and mom was just finishing her blood transfusion. Her blood pressure is still lower than her baseline, but her oxygen saturation is holding well above 90%, and her color was much better. The biggest improvement I noticed was that she was moving without thinking about it; shifting in bed, reaching for things on her bedside table, and not being so careful and protective as she was this morning.

Pain still seems to be the biggest issue however. Her PCA (Patient Controlled Analgesic) delivers a basal, or steady state, of narcotic, and then she's able to give herself an additional dose as often as every 10 minutes. Unfortunately, if she forgets to push the little button or falls asleep, the pain catches up with her.

Her team came in to check on her several times, and agreed that it will take a few days for her pain to go away because of how much manipulation happens inside the abdominal cavity during surgery.

Otherwise, she's being such a super trooper! Still no drinking until she faaaaats (as we say in Boston), so cross your fingers for her tonight so that she can stop having to sneak drinks by sucking on the toothettes.

Who would have thunk I'd be asking people to rally for gas?

5 comments:

Lynn (Painter extroidonaire) said...

Thankyou again Monica! I live in a house with 3 guys so it is hard for me to pray for Faaaats!! but i will do it for her!ha! So happy to hear she is moving around and controling the pain. Now we need to get her a drink! Hope today is a gas!!:)

Chrissy said...

My mom (yes, my seemingly reserved and proper mother) always told me that it was never good to hold the wind in. Although she did say to do it discretely - guess I didn't learn that one!!;)

Much love, the aptly named, "Stink"

Peter said...

Monica, Thank you for keeping us updated, just wanted to let you know I'm using the blog to keep the family updated and to share the pain as much as we can in the event that it could possibly help. Just tell your Mom I said that life is a gas. Even though she knows (as does anyone else who has ever come near me already does) that I feel that way. Hey, there's plenty of armpit farting vids up on the 'net you could use to inspire her if it wouldn't hurt to much to laff. (I actually checked, at risk of esteeming myself at work)

Peter

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know what a gift your reporting is. I'm curious about everything, and your specificity is right on target. Most of all, I want to know how Liz is faring--sounds quite well!--and the details are icing on the cake. Keep it coming, Monica. You have no idea the value you're bringing to your Mom's cheering masses.

Planet said...

Monica,
You are the absolute best at reporting this stuff. The humor you put into such a serious situation adds a levity that keeps me from crying about it! And, I am learning so much. We're all praying for a speedy recovery and if one can pray for a (as we used to say in RI) fot, then so be it. (I swear, living in RI, I thought it was spelled fot until we moved to CT and I heard the "correct" or phonetical pronunciation.)
OK, this is weird, but if she can do it without too much pain, lean a little to the left, and little to right, and a little bit forward and a little bit back. It might help to move those air bubbles down the track. Give her a big gentle hug from me, and if you didn't get my email I am available for weeknights, and possibly some weekends, to come up to her house and stay the night with her, if she needs me. I sent my contact info through GGAZ.
Love and admire you!
Claire
"sometimes known as Planet"
P.S. Does Howard the Horrible still have a job? We'll be looking for a laborer in the sawmill. He wouldn't have to work with people. Just hard wood, it would fit his personality. ;)