Monday, December 10, 2007

My Dad is a Gastrointerologist?

Dad's comment to the last posting said something like "December 19th will take care of all of this." December 19th is the day I'm driving up to White River Junction to pick up my sister who will have taken the bus from Montreal, and then we're off on a secret mission given by my father. So when he says all of this will be taken care of then, I only assume he means to surprise us with the Nobel Peace Prize for curing post-operative diarrhea and nausea? Hmmm...

Talked with Mom and Coco this morning. Her JP drain from her abdomen was removed, which had been placed to drain excess fluids from surgery. Without the drain, one runs the risk of serious abdominal distention, discomfort, and peritonitis (infection- not fun).

She walked to the shower herself yesterday, took a shower, but had to get a ride back to the room. Just when she's feeling up to something, and big fat reality check sets in.

The plan is to discharge her home after lunch today. She'll have to keep the foley catheter in for some time, which will continue to rest the bladder, but still causes a few bladder spasms here and there. Follow-up is later in the week, and Dr. K will do a few tests to check on how the system is healing and how her left kidney is holding up. If her kidneys are anything like my cats, the left will be totally psyched that the other one bit the dust and now has the entire place to herself. I just hope Sammy that Cat and Righty the Kidney are having a ball somewhere together now.

Once mom's home and settled, I'll let everyone one. Now go knock on wood because I don't want to jinx her discharge plan!

2 comments:

Talbot said...

Gastrointerogist?

No....I'm a Caucasianalistrogist. Mom being home makes Mom Happy Numero Uno, Casey Happy Numero Uno Duos, and me Happy Numero Uno Duos Tres.

(I hope CoCo made sure to get Mom's "Friday Night Special" roomie's email address so Mom and her can IV each other.)

Don't knock the 19th of December --it was the the day Charles Dickens' "Christmas Carol" was first published back in 1843.

Jen said...

By the way Dad, the only one who has to worry about wearing a Class 1-A MCU-2/P Protective Mask for now is me. As of last evening, I have been granted temporary custody of Casey. Speaking of cats, mine are glad to see their old buddy, Casey but not glad to smell him. As I always say, "he's lucky he's cute". Between the smell and his snoring, I'm starting to wonder if I would rather be in Liz's hospital room when she faaaaats.