Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Howard the Horrible

How could I forget! I met with the ambulatory day surgery nurse manager (where mom usually recovers from her surgeries) and the PACU (post-anesthetic care unit) nurse manager to discuss mom's treatment, or lack there of, yesterday evening. I started by assuring them that all the care she's received thus far has been top notch, which is completely true- but then I let it rip.

1. He was completely inattentive to her needs.
2. When she asked for something, he not only didn't do it, he made her feel guilty for asking.
3. So guilty that she cried (OH NO YOU DIDN'T!).
4. He didn't assess her pain on the pain scale, even once.
5. She persisted in asking for toothettes because her mouth was so dry, and he brought her a glass of water!!!!! (see 6)
6. He put her at risk for aspiration and choking by providing her water when she clearly had orders for nothing by mouth for these reasons exactly.
7. When she asked for warm blankets, he said, "If you'd stop interrupting me, I could get my paperwork done and we could both get out of here."

The nurse managers were wonderful, took notes, apologized, thanked me for the feedback, and reassured me that it would be taken care of. They'll hopefully follow up with us tomorrow.

Apparently Howard is new to the unit, but I mean- is he new to planet Earth? Come on now...

3 comments:

Talbot said...

I hate Howard. I love Tommy; but I hate Howard. Tommy -- thank you for loaning Monica to her Mom this week...and all the days and weeks that Monica has been away from JP. I hate Howard. Dateline -- last 24hours....Monica takes her Mom to the hospital at 5am Monday and talks with her Mom at 115am Tuesday. Monica is off to the hospital at 6am that same Tuesday morning after she writes all of us an update. I hate Howard...but Tommy's great and Merle is too. I hate Howard.

Tom Smith said...

I don't like Howard, i would like to drive over and yell at howard for upsetting Liz and Monica.
I hate howard too.

Planet said...

Howard is a disgrace to his profession. Hate is a powerful word, so I gotta say I do not like Howard. Nope, not a bit. Can we get a restraining order on Howard the Horrible?