Monday, December 17, 2007

Monday, Monday, La La La La La La

Remember that song?

My creative genes are running dry these days- you'll have to forgive me. I've just been looking forward to it being Monday because that means Mom's regular team would be back in the hospital.

Dr. K was in to see Mom bright and early. He really took some time to talk through all of her concerns, and reassured her that he is not worried about her, and what she is going through is not serious, which came as a huge relief to her. She's been in and out of the hospital so many times for so many things, and no one ever gives you a sense of how "bad it is," so you just worry worry worry.

Right now, it is all about symptom management. Hydronephrosis can be incredibly painful, so much so that it creates nausea and anxiety, so Mom's symptoms are very classic. C-diff can also cause some nausea, which can take up to two weeks of antibiotic therapy to get rid of, unfortunately the flagyl is a massive pill that just perpetuates the nausea, but there's no other choice. So if all looks well on the ultrasound this morning, meaning that her hydronephrosis has resolved since the stent was placed, or is near being resolved, they will send her home.

The main goal now is going to be getting a good symptom management plan in place to keep mom on track, and prevent another painful attack. She needs to drink a ton of water, start eating at least some bland foods, and make sure she gets adequate anti-nausea meds before taking any other pills. Might sound pretty easy, but I assure you that symptom management is one of the biggest challenges in nursing, and Tante Didi and Stephanie will have their work cut out for them.

Having a few days to myself in Boston before heading back to CT has made me realize the importance of taking breaks from the care-giver role. I hope I can provide some relief to Didi when I arrive so she can rest and maybe even see her wonderful little grandbabies in NH.

Will let you know how the ultrasound goes!

2 comments:

Lissa said...

Monica and Liz, I have a few ideas in my Hospice bag on how to help relieve the upset stomach and anxiety. They are a bit non-traditional and sometimes work for patients. Hopefully at least one of these will help you, Liz!

1) Music has an amazing power of relaxation. Calming music or sounds sometimes east the anxiety, which in turns helps you fall asleep...and forget that your stomach is doing flip-flops and other parts of the body hurt more than you ever thought a body part could hurt.

2) Massage. Hand and foot massages also can relax the mind and body.

3) Reiki, which I have heard is very helpful to a large number of patients managing pain. I haven't done this...a bit too non-traditional for me, but I don't knock anything that helps others!

I'd be happy to bring music and massage to the bedside myself, and can easily find a Reiki practitioner if you're interested, Liz.

Hang in there!! As Monica said, symptom management is the key, and it may take a variety of "cocktails" to get the balance right for you.

You know where to find me if I can help in any way!

Lissa

You know where to find me if

Monica M. Talbot said...

Excellent ideas Lissa, as always. Mom does love her classical music, so I will make sure she has that readily available. And I am getting certified in Reiki this February-bummer! But I will bring it up to mom and if she is interested, we'll take you up on tracking someone down. She's a sucker for that stuff!