Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 1 Sans Kidney

As of midnight, mom still hadn't arrived to the floor, so we went to bed and resolved just to see her in the morning, but she gave me a little ring at 1:15 am. Apparently, some nurse named Howard in the recovery room just bought himself a one-way ticket, issued by me, out of St. Francis Hospital FOREVA! He made my mom's record 6 hours in recovery miserable with knocks like, "Sure I'll put the head of the bed up a bit, when I'm not so busy," and "if you'd stop interrupting me, I could finish your paper work and we could get out of here." All the lady needs to be happy post-op, are some toothettes (little sticks with minty sponges at the end) and blankets from the heater. Too much to ask? I think not! So Howard's nurse manager will see my shining face, and Howard will just have a big fat shiner on his.

Mom just called again just as Coco and I were about to hit the road. Her pain is the biggest barrier right now. Dr. K came in to visit and said she'll be able to have something to drink as soon as she's able to sit up-right, which is very uncomfortable.

Post-Op 101: Patients who have been heavily sedated with anesthesia and continue to be sedated with narcotics are at HUGE risk for aspiration of anything they eat or drink in to their lungs which could brew in to a nice fat pneumonia. Not until mom can sit up and is safe to drink will she be able to. Today we'll work on deep breathing, coughing, moving in bed as much as she can tolerate, and using this nifty gadget called the incentive spirometer. It's a little chamber with three balls, and by putting your mouth around the connected tube and taking a deep breath in, the balls rise. She should be encouraged to do this 10 times an hour to increase her lung capacity and get her back on track faster.

Want to hit the road,  but today's missions will be:
1. Kick Howard's sorry ass.
2. Get Mom's pain under control.
3. Bury Howard's sorry ass.
4. Work on deep breathing and coughing exercises so she can advance to clear liquids this afternoon.
5. Wait, before I bury Howard's sorry ass, I'm going to feed it to my dad's new nanny goats, then bury it.
6. Get myself some of that DELICIOUS mac & cheese they serve at Au Bon Pain in the hospital lobby.

Best get to it.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for the update Monica. Keep 'em coming! Oh and more of your mom's Christmas shopping gifts have arrived here at the office.

Chrissy said...

When I come home, Howard is in major trouble! Thank you Moe for keeping us posted on Liz's progress. Liz, I know this is a tough time, but just remember how many people are sending healing thoughts to you! Lots of love and healing breath into those lungs!

Tasha said...

Not to dismiss your anger in any way, but to acknowledge how elementary is the healing power of a warm blanket, I respond during this painful time with this. 18 months ago Steph at age 11 happened to write a short prayer chosen for the congregation to read aloud. One doesn't have to be religious to appreciate how it ends: "Protect those who are ill and need a watchful eye. Even though everyone doesn't need help as much as those who are sick, still make sure they have a protectful blanket over them. Amen."
On a more sporty note, thanks to everyone who is rallying Babette through this. This team blanket is bright, colorful, and strong!

maura said...

howard = DONE!

seriously. give him a good kick for the rest of us.

thanks for the updates! warm and shiny thoughts for you and liz!
xoxox

Jen said...

I think that an amusing tale of Liz from "Dad" would be perfect right about now. Without Liz here in this office, it is quiet and lonely. Liz and I suspected that George would keep me entertained. Please "Dad", share with us.