Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Come on 2008, Don't Let Us Down

While up in Vermont, I spoke with Mom at least once daily, and she seemed to suffer from a sleepless weekend, and some new flu-like symptoms as of this morning. She had a little excursion out of the house on New Year's Eve and is worried that perhaps she picked something up, but my guess is that with so many people going in and out of the house, we have no way of knowing what little buggies could have made their way home. She's been running a very mild temperature (99.1), so just to be sure she'll head to the cancer center to meet with Judy tomorrow at 11am. She'll have a stool sample, 24 hour urine collection, and hopefully a nice juicy vein with her so they can do a thorough work up. I'm concerned that this might be a colitis flare up, since the symptoms seem to be similar, so hopefully we will have more answers in a few days.

Vermont was wonderful, but Mom was missed! When I spoke with her Saturday, she was in particularly good spirits, and couldn't say enough about how loved she continues to feel each and every day. She asked me to recognize Tante Didi in particular, who has been at her beck and call, without break, for weeks now. Not until you have the opportunity to care for someone who is battling an illness, can you truly understand the emotional and physical implications. Not only has Didi been taking care of my Mom, but she has managed laundry, meals, tidying, and driving for everyone else in the house as well- above and beyond the call of duty!

Friday we have an appointment with the oncologist, who will give us a better idea of when chemo will start and exactly what it will entail. I assume it will be put off until she is feeling better and eating more, but a huge part of that decision will be based on her team's expertise.

I must admit, despite our snowy drive that took us twice as long as it should have, I have extra pep in my step today. It's day one of a new year, and I have a good feeling about 2008.

7 comments:

Gwennie Talbot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gwennie Talbot said...

Agreed. Even though Mom's in for some chemo in 2008, I think good things are in store!

Monica M. Talbot said...

This is what quality time with my sister is all about. We're sitting on the couch next to eachother, each blogging at the same time (only she made a boo boo and erased her original comment by accident). Too bad we don't get to do this more often!

Tom Smith said...

I wish your family the best new year. let your mom know I'm thinking of her and can't wait to see her. Happy New Year.

Elizabeth said...

Happy New Year. We are counting on a great '08, and Liz's recovery is very high on the list of resolutions. She is, literally, daily in my thoughts and I am filled with fierce hope. Sending grateful love to all who are helping "on the ground," and I know at some point, when it's needed, I will join you in some hopefully constructive way. Until then, truly, I send every bit of bright and positive thinking your way. xoxo E

Anne Boychuk said...

Your family is my thoughts and prayers every day. I wish you all restored good health, happiness and the continued love of your friends and family. Best wishes for 2008.

Claude said...

I am so lucky, as I am heading to Avon this morning to see my big sister, DIdi and Papa! I will not bring any buggies, only the fixings to make butternut squash soup.

Didi was going to take a break for several days while I was down there to go visit her son, d-in-law and grandkiddies. She would also get to visit with her beloved dog, Jakko (sp?). She either can't wait to see me, or she's worried about the weather, because she decided to stick around another day. She's taking Mamasan to her check up this morning. I will join them there, as soon as I get off this computer here and hit the road -- carefully.

Liz and Didi had to spend yesterday keeping Papa calm. He was so agitated with nearly his ENTIRE family, including grandkids, on the road returning from VT. I called them at 7:45PM to say we all made it home safely - even those driving through the White Mountains back to Maine.

It took us 7 1/2 hours to drive the 3 3/4 hour trip home to Massachusetts. Spent only 1/2 hour in a snowbank till we got towed out. When will Type-A SUV drivers learn that you can't barrel down a slippery highway, in a near white-out, towing a trailer full of snowmobiles and expect to stay on the tarmack? You only knocked 20 other cars off the road when you flew down the median and split open your trailer, spewing your snowmobiles about the place like so many snowflakes! Aaaarrrggghhh!