Monday, January 7, 2008

Admitted. Oh, no, wait, Nevermind.

I spoke with Mom finally around 8:30pm (so as not to be a bother, I was just sending her quick little text messages and she'd text me back bits of info), I discovered that she was actually being treated from the waiting room. She'd had an IV place, blood drawn, meds given, urinalysis collected, and spiral CT scan done all done from the privacy and intimacy of the waiting room. And she hadn't been seen by a urologist yet.

This made me just about blow my lid, so I called the oncologist on call, because in my book Mom is now a cancer patient first and foremost, and with the host of issues she's had going on, I don't think it was at all appropriate for her to be sitting in the ER waiting room for five and a half hours. He called me back immediately and was fantastic. Dr. G knew nothing about my mom's case, but got a brief history for me, seemed surprised that she had been discharged so quickly that morning and without a stent, and called the ER to assess help move things along.

He called me back to report that Mom was going to be admitted for pain management and to flush out her kidneys in hopes of getting her creatinine closer to normal limits. While I was receiving this phone call, Mom was being delivered the same news by the ER attending. All I could think of was when I was wait-listed from every college under the sun and my mom kept saying, "squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

It's 6:30am and I just called the hospital to find out how she did overnight, but apparently she was sent home from the ER! Hopefully that's a good thing and what my Mom wanted, because when I last spoke to her at 9:30pm, she just wanted to be admitted.

Hoping she got a good night's sleep, no matter what!

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Oye! So glad everyone, including Lizzie, is vocal and active when pain reaches a certain level. No one knows your body like you do, and with one kidney, I agree to err on the side of caution.

As for the chemo/no chemo decision, it sounds like you've gotten some good advice to wait a couple of weeks. If you start and then your levels are too high, they shut you right off. You really do need to be as healthy has possible before starting chemo.

Know you, Lizzie, you WILL beat this thing....even if it takes all of your energy to walk every day!

Thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Lissa