Thursday, January 10, 2008

Getting the Hang of This

I was so pleased when my mom called me yesterday afternoon to tell me she'd called Dr. K's office to get the results of her blood test (specifically the creatinine value), and to see if the pathology results were back from the three kidney stones she'd passed. A few weeks ago, it would have been me doing this, so it was great to see Mom take the reins and advocate for herself. When this all started, she could barely remember the name of her Atenolol, because it's never been in her nature to just think about herself, but I believe she's starting to really take control, ask questions, and become an informed consumer. It will benefit her in the long run.

I know it has been challenging for her to be so self-centered, but right now it's all about doing whatever is best for her, period. I think she's catching on.

She and Didi accomplished a ton yesterday! Ran errands, took down Christmas decorations, including the tree, and she was certainly wiped by the time we spoke around 7pm.

Next week Mom will officially be "on her own" with the exception of a quick overnight visit from me so we can go to her next Dr. D appointment together. Over the course of this week and weekend, she's going to assess what will be best for her. Designated daily visitors? Meal deliveries? It will depend on her energy and comfort level.

Today she'll have a visit from Dani, who's offered to come to the house and give her a new short do! And I believe Casey is being picked up by a Helping Hands team member to get groomed tomorrow. What a beautifully coiffed household it will be! Meanwhile, it's my mission to communicate with Dana Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) here in Boston, and schedule an appointment with a new oncologist to review Mom's case and get a second opinion. Naturally, the oncologist we'd worked with before moved back to New Orleans, so we'll be starting from scratch again. No biggie- nothing we haven't done before!

2 comments:

Tracy Michaud said...

Hi Monica and Liz,

Been checking in here periodically to follow the roller coaster of events, all the while sending much love and positive energy your way - waiting for the time when you may benefit from the help of your extended network. Sounds like you're going to be there by next week. I'm stepping up and letting you know to sign me up for a few of those "daily visitors" - Liz, I sent you a "Talbot email" the other day, knowing you would be peeking at them from time to time. I don't want to bug you with phone calls but I do stand ready to offer a helping hand (or 2) - Hang in there!
much love,
-Tracy

Monica M. Talbot said...

Hi Tracy! If you haven't already connected with Susan Eastman, please do so. When we need something, we call her, and she contacts all of our superb volunteers. Her email is eastmans@raveisre.com. Thank you for such a wonderful offer!