Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Few Hours Here, A Few Hours There

Mom ventured in to the office for about four hours today, her first time there conducting official business since the last day in November, if you can believe it! Her team has done a wonderful job working together while protecting Mom from any little snags in the past few months, which allowed her to really rest and relax. She'd been anxious to try a few hours a day, and after Judy (our oncology RN) told us she worked full time as an oncology nurse while undergoing chemo herself, it inspired Mom to give it a shot herself.

But really, can you imagine? Giving chemo all day, then on Friday afternoon, sitting down in that chair yourself, then heading back to work Monday? At least it put my mind at ease a bit, realizing that if Mom can lead as normal a life as possible, it could actually really work in her favor.

Her symptoms were kept well at bay thanks to the proactive approach and bucket of meds she's been instructed to take the days following treatment. She was taking a rest this evening when I so rudely called and woke her up from a nap (AHHHHHHHHH! So angry with myself...), and I felt good knowing that when she's hungry, she can just wander over to the fridge and heat up a delicious dinner prepared by some of you.

Not too shabby for day 2!

2 comments:

Talbot said...

MonicaDarlingDearest -- Don't ever ever awake Mom from a nap....it's akin to giving a mad cougar an enema in a telephone booth.

I hope the dinner was fine and dandy...I hope it had M&Ms.

Jen said...

Just a quick note to say that Liz looks great!!!! I'm looking at her live, in-person as I write this.

Liz...please forgive me for taking a minute out of the work day to write this. Thanks boss!

-Jen