Saturday, January 5, 2008

Hey St. Frannie, Miss Us?

Just as I was crossing the Mass state line on my way home to attend a week long course, Coco called from Avon and said, "your mom's left flank pain is an 8 out of 10, and she wanted me to call and tell you." When I'd left, she'd been having a little pain and I gave her two tylenol and she went to take a nap. Apparently, in a matter of two hours her symptoms worsened and she was having the difficulty breathing associated with severe pain. So I said call the doctor on call, because I think all three of us knew in our heart of hearts that she'd probably be told to head to the hospital. Again, it's one of those things where we can't take chances since she's only got the one kidney, and she just had the stent removed from her ureter on Wednesday, so I wonder if her ureter is occluding again.

So Coco and Mom are in the ER now being well taken care of. She's going to have a CT scan done to check on the kidney, and her pain is already coming down (it was a 7 out of 10 when I talked to her).

Part of me wanted to do a U-Turn on the Mass Pike, but then I realized that every time something goes wrong, I won't always be there, and Coco is more than capable of advocating and supporting Mom. Especially seeing as she's already kicked cancer's booty herself, and is no stranger to symptoms, chemo, hospitals, etc.

I saw Didi briefly when I returned to Boston. She's been in NH with her son, his wife, and their little bambinos, and they spent the day in the city. She is ready to report to duty the second she is called back in to action. I hope she's been able to rest and relax, because I think we might just need her sooner than we expected (like...tomorrow?) because Coco has to head back to Mass tomorrow.

So the A-Team continues to dominate, and Mom continues to show unimaginable strength despite these little speed-bumps.

As soon as I hear anything, I'll post!

1 comment:

Claude said...

A Coming Out Party??? Little did we know how much was going to come out! First the kidney/uretur/lymph node team, then nausea, the golden purse output, gas, poops (both too slow or too fast), then the stent, and now stones??? What will she think of next? This isn't a party. It's a freakin' gala ball!