Tuesday, January 15, 2008

We Heart Jane Austin

Mom spent quite a bit of time at the office yesterday, but when she arrived home, she was still one of the few houses without power. By the time she let Casey out, got the mail, and pulled in the garbage can, it was back on!

After I arrived we ate some dinner and brainstormed a bit for our appointment today. Our biggest task: to gently indicate to Mom's nurse that her body products are slightly over-bearing. It's a TERRIBLE position to be in, but these days Mom is astonishingly sensitive to scented products. I was even put on a mission to find unscented hand soap, which I don't reccomend anyone else attempt. Did you know purell is even scented?

These sorts of things never used to bother her, but these days it's enough to make her stomach turn. All her delicious lotions and perfumes are stashed under the sink until further notice.

Nothing bothers me more than healthcare professionals who wear a) heavily scented anything and b) fake nails. Do you have any idea the amount of bacteria and yuck can live under there? Makes me dance in my chair a bit.

So other than being the body product police, we're going to put our heads together with Dr. D, revisit the plan (to chemo or not to chemo), and get all the necessary information together for our drip to Boston Friday.

Oh of course- how can I forget Jane Austin! We watched the first of the "The Complete Jane Austin" being featured on WGBH. Every Sunday at 9pm a film based on one of her novels is being shown. Just in time too, cause Mom LOVES Janie A. This week's was not so great, but we have high hopes for the weeks to come.

2 comments:

Talbot said...

Mamasan and/or Monica -- The next time I see you I promise not to have any fake fingernails on.

Gwennie Talbot said...

Yeah and I promise not to smell really bad.