Wednesday, January 30, 2008

If I May Make a Request

Mom is doing well for the most part, but she is beginning to see trends in symptoms, specifically in the evening. She gets tired, has a bit of a stomach ache, which takes away her appetite, and can have a head ache here and there. She's been combating this by getting down all her fluids and eating plenty and well earlier in the day, so if she can only tolerate a small dinner, she doesn't have to worry about not getting enough cancer fighting calories.

Her mornings are a different story all together. She gets up, takes her handful of medications, checks her blood pressure, confirms/makes/cancels appointments, and then spends a few hours in the office.

Which brings me to my point, that although she is overall, feeling well, if loving friends could refrain from calling the house in the late afternoon and evenings, it would be much appreciated. After I woke her up, she received no less than 10 phone calls. Even if she doesn't answer, the ringing could possibly wake her up. Might sound trivial, but a good afternoon rest could be the difference between her being able to enjoy dinner and maybe a few chapters of her book, which is really important.

She's on her email several times a day, so she would prefer to be contacted that way. And if you do call, try to make it in the mornings.

I feel so ridiculous telling people to reign in the good wishes, because I know our intentions are good ones, but I'm sure we can all relate.

2 comments:

Talbot said...

Jen....I agree. Her smile is almost as good as the muffler color that sototally captures her eyes.

I'll bet her nose is wet...just like Casey's.

Anonymous said...

Babette,

You look so absolutely terrific! It does my heart good to see a picture of you! I have to tell you I am really jealous of everyone who lives near you. Why did I have to live 4-5 hours away? I so wish I could be close by to be a part of that great team of people that are helping you. I know it helps when I pray for you, but I just wish I could somehow do something tangible! If you ever really feel you need someone like me (neurotic) to do a really deep cleaning of your house, or something like that, please let me know!!! My daughters are great and could stay behind and take care of things here, or one could even come with me, if you'd rather. PLEASE let me know if I could be of help in any way! (I know I just feel so much better when I'm physically weakened if my surroundings are neat & clean). NOT THAT I'M ASSUMING YOUR HOUSE IS MESSY! :-) I'm sure everyone is taking care of details, but it's just that itch in me to act, and one of the things it manifests itself in is spring cleaning (so I'm a little early). :-)

I want to thank Monica for the blog, and for all the time she spends keeping us aware! It's so nice to just click on whenever I want to find out how you are - which is often!

I have a short M & M's story too. We were camping at Baxter State Park in Maine when we had 3 or 4 small children. We left for the day and arrived back late (had to have the ranger open the gate!). Around 2 or 3 in the morning I heard growling near the children's tent and was convinced it was bears eating them. But NO! It turned out we had left the door to the station wagon (remember them?) open, and there was a family of RACCOONS in it, tearing open our weeks' worth of garbage and eating any food scraps they could find. The WORST, though, was that they ate our WHOLE BAG OF PEANUT M & M's! What a tragedy.....

I love you, Babette!

Love,

Michou