Thursday, January 3, 2008

Friends Make the World Go Around

I woke up this morning so excited to head to Connecticut and see my mom, I almost forgot that one of my dearest friends was heading to the salon to chop off 10 inches of her thick, beautiful, hair to donate to locks of love. I sent her a good luck message and was on my way, only to read her blog this evening (she's an incredibly talented designer/decorator/planner) and discover that she dedicated the donation to none other than our very own, Super Mamasan! Erin's probably met my mother once, but she did it to support me and my family. It's days like these that make me know I can get through this. And Erin's not the only one! One of Mom's co-workers' daughter, Mollie, also donated her hair to locks of love in honor of my mom. Any woman with long hair knows what a scary thing it is to chop it all off, so these acts of kindness impact us in ways I can't even put in to words.
It was wonderful to be able to see Mom with my own two eyes today. She's noticeably thinner (if only we could each harness a little bit of cancer right after the holidays), but is eating more each day. I was so happy to see her eat both a good sized lunch and dinner, and keep it down! She had some nice visits today from Eric & Kip (bro-in-law and nephew), Marilyn and Marissa (best friend and already-accepted-to-law-school-in-her-senior-year-of-college-daughter), and Tom V., a good family friend who delivered a delicious bottle of red wine. Enough said.

Tomorrow we have many appointments to run around to, which will hopefully give us a better idea of what exactly we're getting ourselves in to, and when we're getting in to it.

This month between surgery and the commencement of chemo has been a positive thing, especially because it enabled us to become a bit more emotionally prepared. I remember the week after Mom's surgery when we were headed to meet the oncologist, and she absolutely did not want to go. She didn't want to talk about cancer or chemo- she just wasn't ready. But we survived that meeting, just as we've survived the ones since, and now it's like-

bring it, chemo.

1 comment:

Mindy Goodfriend said...

Good Morning Liz,

Today is our WPO meeting and we will all be thinking of you with love and powerful cancer-banishing vibes.

With love and very gentle hugs from your WPO Chemo-Sabes,

Mindy