Monday, January 28, 2008

Touched to Tears

It's one thing to know that a group of friends has offered to run an errand, or cook a meal here and there, but it is another thing all together, when they get together to pow wow in your best interest.

Our Master of Helping Hands Ceremonies, Susan, just called to check in and make sure we got a meal delivery today, and remind us that if Mom's diet or cravings change, just let her know and she can adjust the menu accordingly. She also mentioned that a few of our super stars got together on a Sunday morning to have coffee and meet face to face! How this warmed my heart is indescribable. To think that a group of women, many of them who have been touched by cancer in their own lives, got together to take on yet another cancer-kicking challenge and have jumped in wholeheartedly, well it just makes me want to sob my eyes out in front of an Anne of Green Gables marathon. Friendship is such a beautiful thing, and through Mom's cancer, her friends are befriending one another, and over venti non fat mochas at Starbucks, no less.

I joke, but I hope you all know how much we love and appreciate everything you do. I'm overwhelmed with how we will ever thank you.

Mom is enjoying a mug of Marilyn D's miracle broth, snuggled under Nan's shawl, reading a book recommended by Jen's mom (Kitchen Table Wisdom, a copy of which was also sent to me by Mokus), and Carol & Jerry K's dinner is warming in the oven. Even now, alone in the living room, she is surrounded by gestures of love.

Ugh, I can be such a sap sometimes. I've got to go smash a beer can on my forehead or something.

5 comments:

Talbot said...

"Giving is Living;" but just ain't that the truth.

All Liz's best-bud buddies are better than a double-pump latte grande cafe 'o lait java coffee with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Claude said...

I'm scarfin' down M&M's and a hazelnut decaf just to make me feel like I'm still part of the team.

Did y'all know that Monica is the Original M&M? Dad and Liz named her Monica Margaret for that reason. And she only agreed to marry Tom McKnight because she could remain an M&M.

Monica, did you know BJ's Wholesale Club sells 56 oz. bags of M&Ms? That's the one I'm looking at right now! Don't worry, I wont overdose. I prefer dark Belgian chocolate any day of the week.

Speaking of M&Ms, Liz and Monica have an M&M relationship that goes WAY back. Liz and I were flying to Florida together to visit our grandmother. Liz wanted to introduce her to Monica, who was then just 2 months old and still breast feeding (her original stint at nursing!) Against her pediatrician's advice, Liz figured she could have "just one little bag" of M&M's on the plane flight down. Within a half hour of nursing, the M&M's took their effect on that poor little baby. Phew! The runs run in that family.

[Sorry for bringing the conversation back down to that level :-O ...]

maura said...

monie, at least use a bottle of veuve or something.

love you.

Monica M. Talbot said...

And Coco...you forgot the time when you didn't realize your house had been broken in to until the bag of peanut M&M's was missing from your freezer. Priceless.

Lissa said...

Who needs to go to a comedy club...just read the hysterically funny things on this blog!

Liz, I'm SO glad you tolerated your first treatment well. Starting off on a good note always helps as we continue this journey (as does a nurse who really does empathize). Glad you've returned to work a bit, but if you push to hard, we'll all have to kick your butt!

And Susan E., I can't thank you enough for chairing the HH committee! Your care and attention to Liz is helping us all feel we are still connected and helping in some way.