Sunday, December 13, 2009

New Beginnings

I wish you could have all been there in the hours after our mother passed. Gwennie and I went downstairs to be engulfed by our family in a huge group hug. My mother had always said that her "perfect possibility" at the time of her death would have been to see all her siblings, her father, and have her brother-out-law Eric play the guitar. Sure enough, she saw every sibling yesterday (one via speaker phone, who she'd seen Wednesday), had a few hours of quiet time with her father, and a concert by Eric. Not a half hour before she passed away, the only sibling she hadn't seen yet that day sat at her bedside.

Yesterday feels surreal, almost as if one week was compressed into a day. I watched her breathing patterns change and maybe it was because I'm a nurse, maybe it's because I'm her daughter, or a combination of the two, but somehow I knew we wouldn't be spending another night in the family room. Gwennie took some time with her, just the two of them, while Matthew and I roamed the campus so I could fill my lungs with some cold fresh air. When I returned to my mother's room with one of her sisters, her breathing changed. Slower and deeper. We gave her morphine, we repositioned her, but somehow she was different. Not uneasy, but mechanical. Her spirit and soul had left her body, and with her sweet nurse Laurel, we prepared that this could be her time. Our wonderful Susan Eastman entered to visit at this time, but it was clear she was changing. It is a scary moment, because you just want to optimize her comfort and relieve any distressing symptoms. Laurel helped us turn her on her side and lay her flat to help promote easy breathing. I supported her head with my arm around her back and my other hand holding her face. Gwennie wrapped herself around her waist with her head in her lap, and Paul sat beside her on the bed saying words of encouragement and helping administer morphine as needed. It was amazing, because when we got her comfortable, her breathing immediately became slow, gentle, and almost inaudible. I'll never know if she really said to me, "I want to go," or if I just heard it in my head, but the next thing I knew I said, "you can. Breathe easy." And with support and words of encouragement whispered from all around her, she passed before Laurel even came back to the room. Just like that, she was gone.

The moments after are indescribable. The feeling of loss and sorrow cuts so deep and sharp, and yet you almost feel weightless because years and months of wondering, anticipation, and preparation have just come to an end.

Friends and family came, paid their respects, and sat with her. Gwennie crawled right up next to her and put her head right on her shoulder. Even after, she lent her girls support. To see Gwennie, comfortable, calm, soaking up this opportunity to be at peace with our mother's death, warmed my heart and I knew in an instant that we would be okay. My grandfather stood at the end of her bed and said, "Bon voyage, ma pousse," meaning, "good travels, little flee," which is a very common term of endearment.

When the funeral home came to pick her up an hour or two later, Gwennie, myself, my Aunt Coco, and Uncle Tommy walked with her to the elevators. As we crossed the balcony with all of our family below us, they let out cheers and applause. Just when you think, "oh maybe walking through the halls with my deceased mother might be a little scary," you're met with love, joy, and celebration. And it didn't end there...

Perhaps the most tender thing I witnessed yesterday was getting off the elevator and seeing my Uncle Peter and my 9 year old cousin Stephan standing there waiting for us. Mom was beautifully snuggled under a red, blue, and green quilt with only her flawless and peaceful face exposed. As we rolled by, Stephan just watched, and said, "I'm going to miss Aunt Babette." And slowly from around the corner the troops came marching in: her siblings Nicky, Peter, Claude, Natalie, Caroline, and Stephanie, along with our outlaws Tommy, Eric, and Kimberly, cousins Emily, Kip, Stephanie, and Stephan, our dear grandfather Bernard, precious friends Tom V., Lissa, and Matthew- the lined the way towards the door, giving kisses and good-byes. I couldn't help but sob, because Mom would have so loved that. She was the one who always set the example to us in times like these, that death doesn't have to be scary. It doesn't have to be frightening, or hidden, or protected from youth. It is natural and something we'll all be touched by at some point. She'd set such an example to us, and in turn we were able to thank her with the most flawless, spontaneous, and organic farewell ever imagined.

Gwennie and I walked her out and gave her final kisses once she was safely snuggled in the car. I've never been so proud to be part of my family as I was in that moment.

The night went on with a delicious dinner at Eric and Natalie's in to the early hours of the morning. Afterwards with full bellies, warms hearts, and swollen eyes, we got a good night's sleep. Today we'll have brunch with our family and then head back to McLean around change of shift, so we can pack up her room and say thank you to both the day and evening staff for all they've done for us.

A memorial is tentatively scheduled for a week from yesterday, Saturday, December 19th at The Universalist Church in West Hartford, Conn with a reception to follow for all. More details to come.

This is hardly the end of the blog. In many ways, our journey is just beginning.

13 comments:

Judy P. Wilson said...

A beautiful, intimate and moving tribute to your mom. With a heavy heart, I am so grateful to you for sharing the details and phases of this incredibly painful process. It's allowed me to feel more closely connected to your family's journey and passage. I look forward to hearing more about arrangements and hope to be able to join your family to celebrate Babette's life. Long distance love and hugs for all of you from NH...

Unknown said...

I truly believe your most recent post was one of the most eloquent, poised, and beautiful passages I have ever read. You have somehow managed to make the great writers of our time seem obsolete. You and your family are truly magical, and even though I am two hundred miles away, I can feel that magic through seeping onto all of us that you have shared those precious moments with.

All our love,
Caddie, Patrick, Rondo and Nacho

filomena said...

Dear Monica, Gwennie, Paul and Liz's dad, brothers, sisters, and entire family, I am grateful that you have shared this moving story of Liz's safe, gentle and triumphant passage. The love, harmony and happiness of her family meant the world to Liz-- and her vision for her final moments here on earth were realized, thanks to all of you. I share the sense of stunning and deep loss, having lost both a treasured sister and a treasured friend in this same year. Liz's extraordinary strength and commitment now lives and breathes in her family, and her legacy is lasting, meaningful and wondrous. My favorite writer, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, wrote that what is real is invisible to the eye. Real knowledge involves much more than our eyes can see. Liz now lives beyond the threshold that we experience, an angel with us always. With love, affection, respect and gratitude, Filomena P. S. I am here to help in any way possible. Like Lissa--- 7/24/365/lifetime commitment.

Claude said...

Babette is an amazing Grace.

So to her, we said grace once again, to thank her for the feast of life she shared with us - beauty, music, sorrow, art, family, unconditional love, worry, hope, aspirations and joy. It is my belief that La Vie Profonde is found breaking bread around a table with loved ones.

Please raise your glass with me and sing out, "Rub-a-Dub-Dub, Thanks for the Grub, YEAH BUB!

Tory + Jeff said...

I've read and re-read this entry, but I've hesitated to make a comment because I didn't know how to celebrate Tante any more beautifully or peacefully than you already did. This morning, preparing for my classes, it came to me.

In English classes, we teach students to "web" as a method of brainstorming. Perhaps you remember it from your own days at a cramped little desk? The idea is that you put a single idea at the center of your page and circle it. You look at it for a while, and then begin to draw lines out from it, each line making a connection to another circle, and another, and another.

Tante--and everything about her--created a web far wider than any of us could ever know. Friends of mine who never met her are touched and inspired by her life simply through reading this blog or hearing stories of her courage and kindness. By holding down the center of the web that connects each of us, Tante leaves a legacy of hope, strength, and love that will live on through each one touched by one of those connections.

Thank you, Tante.

With all our love to you,
Tory and Jeff

America's Marketing Motivator said...

God Bless Liz Tablot and her beloved and devoted family. I had a strange feeling about Liz just this past weekend, wondering how she was doing. I see how that her spirit has moved on to the next great adventure. I will remember Liz Talbot as a true lady, a brave warrior and a savvy business woman who had the power for forgive and the ability embrace all that she encountered. I will miss you Liz Talbot. Your time line will never end! Much love, Kathy McAfee

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter said...

Stefan simply knew it was his time and opportunity to honor his beloved Babette as she passed him. A coming out party it was indeed! I am immeasurably proud of him and grateful he had the opportunity, and I thank his cousin Stephanie for caring for him all that wondrous day.

Monica, Gwennie, you are amazing; your caring and sharing at a time when you might have found it easier not to, is of great comfort to the countless others who also reserved a special place for Babette in our hearts.

My sister Babette, your spirit is as bright as ever.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this journey through each phase of laughter, tears, and the amazing gifts your mother has given you and your family. It is an inspiration and a reminder that losing a loved one involves so many emotions, often ones that we find hard to put into words. You are brave, beautiful and truly loved. Your mother will look upon you and be with you in all the next steps of your life. Much love to you all.

Helene Gaillet de Neergaard said...

The joy brought on by reading your beautiful account of Babette's last moments tames down the breaking of my heart at losing such a wonderful niece. Thank you Monica for your words, and may God bless you and Gwennie during this period of mourning. With all my love, Tante Helene

Joy Banach said...

It is said, "The cup of Joy is forged with tears of sorrow." This has been such sorrow for me, yet blessed that I had such a wonderful telephone call with my dearest friend before her passing. Death ends a life, not a relationship -- and I look forward to my continued relationship with her. My love, Joy

Unknown said...

Monica,
Your writing is amazing and your description of your mother's death eloquent. My heart is heavy for you and your sister as you mourn your incredible mother. All of us who knew her in the WPO miss her tremendously. She was an inspiration to me and others in how she lived and how she chose. REmember that she will be with you forever and you will doubtless hear her voice in your head for many years to come, as I hear my own mother.
Thank you so much for sharing your journey.
Kate Putnam

Unknown said...

I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you shared the last moments so generously with all of us. I believe we all needed that to know that your mom's journey was peaceful. Thanks to you and Gwennie for being amazing women - just like your mom!