Monday, December 7, 2009

Little Battles, Big Differences

This last week has been filled with ups and downs. It seems that with each passing day, symptoms get a bit more severe and even simple things more tiresome. For example, Gwennie and I went on a pharmacy mission to grab up various types of reading glasses to see if any would help her eyes focus while reading emails. And of all things, dental floss became an issue. Her teeth feel tighter, and all the floss we had was either too stringy, not stringy enough, too smooth, not smooth enough, you get the picture. After days of trial and error, the little floss sticks were a major home run.

We roll our eyes when Mom starts a sentence with, "you know what I need?" but the truth is there's nothing we'd rather be doing than reading up on dental floss on consumer reports. This is why we're here, and every little effort people make to accommodate Mom's ever changing needs make such a difference in her daily life.

Because our mother is so proactive and such a fighter, our conversations of late have been about what does Mom feel like she has to do versus what she wants to do. For some, the answer might seem very obvious, but for my mother, who is an infinite do-er, it has been hard for her to slow down. We've talked about what enhances her life from here on out, however long that may be, and how does she want to spend the time she has. She continues with her acupuncture, meditation, and massage regularly, which helps control pain, stress, promote circulation, and allow for healing energy to be accessed. There's no question that these tools have helped and will continue to do so.

So the big question: when is enough enough? Imagine you had advanced, metastatic disease, and someone told you they thought if you followed their strict regimen of filtered water, supplements, smoothies, and therapy, you might cure yourself. Would you do it? Would you go to another country and do clinical trials? Would you be able to find peace or rather die fighting? How often are we forced to think about these things?

Ever since the first time cancer entered our family's daily vocabulary, people from all walks of life have offered up suggestions. With Mom's disease being as advanced as it is, she's taken a "well, then I just need to fight it harder" approach. She is truly unbelievable. If most of us were in her shoes, we'd put on our slippers and eat ice cream for every meal.

With all these symptoms, it has really forced my mother marinate in reality. I think she's realized that she can refocus her energy from working towards a physical healing, to just living the life she has in happiness and peace. Just when I think my mother can't amaze me any more, she recently said to me, "I just don't want to stop fighting because I don't want you and Gwennie to think I'm giving up. I want to set a good example." Sniffle...

I just had absorb that for a minute. It seemed CRAZY to me that she would be doing this all for us, the hours of therapy with healers, the timeless research on vitamix blenders and alkaline water filtration systems, the homework. All I could do was reassure her, that the decision to be less proactive is not to welcome death, but to move forward bravely and with grace.

Any book on death and dying will discuss the need to give permission for loved ones to go. But my mother is very much alive and living, and nothing prepares you to look one another in the eyes and have a discussion about giving it everything you've got, or just enjoying your time together.

Since my mother's decision to ease up on her therapies, it has allowed more time for visits with friends and family, which she believes is really where she draws the most quality of life from. We've been able to just sit for hours, and sometimes we're just working on our computers side by side, but we're present, and we're there together. We talk about how cheated she feels; wanting to see Gwennie graduate from college and me get married and become a mother. We acknowledge it is unfair and it sucks, but then we talk about those events in our future, and how Mom imagines those times, what she would say to us, how she would participate, and we know, that when those times come, she will be there and active in spirit.

My mother has only ever wanted to be the miracle patient who walked out of hospice. It has taken her a long time to absorb that no matter how much she does, she may not impact the outcome, but to do less, makes her no less a failure. She is brave, graceful, and is setting an example not to just my sister and myself, but to all of us. Perhaps the miracle won't be her physical healing, but there are other miracles happening every day. My sister and I are together, with our mother, almost every day. My mother has had the opportunity to make amends with people and emotions of her past. She's found a place for spirituality in her life that never existed so strongly before. These are the real miracles, and we are grateful for them.

8 comments:

trix said...

So beautiful Monica!

Unknown said...

You are such a wonderful writer, Monie, and your words make us all feel that much closer to you when distance keeps everyone apart. Give everyone my love and we are clogging the airwaves with lots of vibes from New Hampshire. Lovelovelovelove you!

Tory + Jeff said...

Monica and Gwennie,

When I was younger, I wondered how it was that there were only four Talbot cousins. Gatherings always seemed larger than life anyhow (thanks to Uncle Pat's weatherperson impersonations and some stellar synchronized swimming acrobatics). Now, I couldn't be prouder to be one of those four Talbots. Your courage, humility, honesty, and joy is so apparent with each word written and each action taken. Thank you, Tante, for giving your girls a piece of your bravery. In turn, thank you, cousins, for modeling it for us.

With all our love,
Tory (and Jeff)

P.S. Do we now have to up the cousin number to 6? Or are Karen and Jeff still technically "out-laws"? Perhaps this deserves a family vote...

Judy P. Wilson said...

Hi Monica and Gwen, Although I have never met you, your mom and I spent many childhood hours together. I once drove a VW bug down the hill from my house to hers so she could teach me to drive a stick shift on the way to school. Has she ever told you about my junior prom date with Nick? It all started with me having a party for my friends who did not have dates to the prom, including me. Babette was getting ready to go to the prom with my cousin Randy Hopkins. You'll have to ask her to tell you "The Rest of the Story." It is a hoot. I LOVE you all to pieces. I'm riveted to the blog. You have a rare gift for writing. I challenge you to publish your writings. So many people would benefit. They already have. It reminds me of Afternoons with Morrie. Hugs and prayers to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Judy! Nick here! I can't tell you how many people I have told that story to over the years. (And the last one was to your brother Bill at our 40th High School Class reunion the summer before last!) Super memory. I had Claude trying to delay your departure from our house (Babette had already just left for the prom) while I was upstairs with my parents seeing if we could get my father's tux to work on me. By the time we got the pants to work, I came flying down to find you in your parent's huge convertible, and I did my best to kneel down (gravel driveway, father's tux) and said "Judy, Judy, will you come to the prom with me! Your response, a very measured, "You've GOT TO BE KIDDING !!" And I send my sister Claude with you to help you get ready. We arrived last, everyone there was eating dinner and from the middle of the crowd shoots up Babette: "JUDY!!!" You were such a bundle of nerves, I ate my plate of food and yours!

Unknown said...

Monica, Gwennie, and Liz:

Liz, in Maya A.'s words, you are a phenomenal woman!! You are the most elegant, graceful, authentic person I have ever had the pleasure of calling a true friend. And you clearly modeled the way and raised two amazing, spirited young women.

Monica and Gwennie, I cannot thank you enough for sharing this journey with us through the blog.

I think of you all always and wish you peace during the most difficult journey in life.

Love and hugs to you all!
Lissa

Lauren Walsh said...

all our love to you three.
you're amazing. you must get it from your mom...
lauren, sean and molly

Karen Talbot said...

Thank you so much for the gift of letting us share this time with you. You are in our thoughts every day, and I feel like I have learned so much from your words and actions.

If your walls aren't too full, may I send you a little something to hang?

With much love,

Karen