Thursday, December 24, 2009

"Are you sure you want to delete: Mom?"

This is the tiny little window that stared me in the face from my cell phone this morning. I knew I had to bite the bullet and just do it: take "Mom" out of my phone. It's just a number, her phone is disconnected anyway, but still, it was a hard thing to do.

How come there was "no-I'm-not-sure-I-want-to-delete-Mom-but-I-know-I-have-to" option?

This is a quick post. I am back at work today for the first time since I left mid-shift after learning the cancer had spread to her cerebral spinal fluid. That was in August. I barely remembered what bus to get on. Gwennie too is back to work this week, taking it a day at a time.

We are really okay. I think how "okay" we are surprises people, but when you have the priviledge of sending your mother away peacefully and painlessly after months of decline, maybe the hardest part went away with her. Of course we have our moments, and who knows how tomorrow will feel, being Christmas, but as for now, we are holding strong and steady. If we were even to waiver the slightest inch, we'd be caught by a massive sea of friends, family, and co-workers who have engulfed us with love and support. It is truly amazing.

More to come about the wonderful service last weekend, with plenty of pictures and details. Thank you for checking in, and stay tuned.

7 comments:

Tory + Jeff said...

Hi lovely ladies,

This is just 2 Talbots and 2 Virchows (or 2 Talbot + 1 Valenta + 1 Virchow)--either way you do the math, it adds up to a whole lot of love coming your way! Merry Christmas! Hearts overflowing with California sunshine are winging their ways to you today.

xoxo
Ret, Tory, Karen, & Jeff

trix said...

Merry Christmas Monica and Gwennie! I sure was thinking of you two and your mom today. I'm glad to hear you're getting back to work and back to living life. Just what your mom would want:) Love you! Trixie

Claude said...

Merry Christmas my dear sweet nieces. We spent ours with Scott's family. Pam and Glenn, who also attended the service last weekend, send their love your way. They remarked at how poised and impressive you both were.

To the rest of you out there, I had lunch with Monica this week. She really is doing well, and being back at work should be a great salve for her soul. She worked all day both Christmas Eve and today, and will work two full shifts the next two nights, before spending a vacation week in Vermont with two cousins and a rock of a friend.

ivanstan said...

Hi Monica and Gwennie,
Glad to see that life goes on and work must be attended to. We too aer soon back to work after a whirlwind tour through CT, NYC, MA, VT. We had a very cozy holiday with Lynn's family in S.Hadley and today off to Okemo to see her brothers family.
We were very glad to spend time with you and many guerlains.We look forward to our next visit. Big hugs to you both,
Love
Lynn and Ivan

Anne de Barcza said...

I say, never delete mom! you can look at her picture whenever you want and even "call her" when you want to talk :-)
xox anne-charlotte

Unknown said...

Monica, thank you so much for continuing to post, so we all know how you and Gwennie are doing. You probably feel a bit smothered by all of us out here by now.

I am glad the routine of work is helping you and Gwennie. And Matt, he rocks!

Love and hugs to you all!
Lissa

P.S. I can't get myself to hit the delete button yet either...no rush.

Anne Brisbois Denna said...

Monica and Gwennie, my name is Anne (Brisbois) Denna and I was a good friend of your Mom's at Manhattanville College, '72-'74. I was heartbroken to stumble upon her passing while googling for her, my long lost friend. She was someone I thought of often over the years.
Your Mom and I hit it off immediately. We bonded over French, French fashion, etc. etc., and our love of piano music and playing. I understand that you, Monica, may be living in JP? I am in Belmont, MA and would love to meet you for a coffee sometime. I have sought you out today because the Manhattanville Magazine just arrived, and your Mom is right on the cover, where she belongs. You can write to me at annedenna@gmail.com. Best wishes, Anne