Saturday, December 5, 2009

Gestures of Love


I could dedicate a blog entirely to the kindness bestowed on our family these last few years. But Miss Mollie O'Hara, this post is dedicated to you.

Mollie is the daughter of one of my mother's Talbot Group counselors. When my mother first underwent chemotherapy, Mollie donated her hair to Locks of Love in honor of her. Mind you, she's never met my mother, and was 12, maybe 13 at the time. A few weeks ago, Mollie sent a letter to my mother with two drawings she did herself, citing that "one is for quiet times, and the other for happy times."



Mollie, I hope you don't mind me sharing your drawings and letter. They're too amazing not to. She wrote:

I have never even met you, but I love you because what you have done for yourself, my mom, and your company. You are in my prayers. It takes a lot of courage to do what you have been doing and I am proud to say that I have even an acknowledgement of who you are. I'm sorry I could not come visit you in hospice, but I guess it's not my fault that I'm not 18 yet. The best I could do was make you these pictures and send this letter to you. I hope it has made your day a little brighter, because that was my goal.





Well mission accomplished Mollie. You made not only my mother's day a little brighter, you make every day a LOT brighter because we have your pictures to admire.

This is one young lady who is destined to do incredible things.







And speaking of impressive pieces of creativity, an honorable mention is due for my Aunt Coco. Mom had mentioned that she has a hard time keeping things in reach and organized on her bedside tables, which is nothing new. It has taken a village to come to a halfway decent solution. First it was containers to keep everything gathered in, but those made the table to heavy for Mom to role. Then we tried little upright organizers with little slots, but still too heavy. Of late, we've had success with that rubbery gripper stuff cut to the size of the tables, so at least loose things don't slip off the table easily. But today, ah HA! Look what arrived...

It's a tool belt, covered in words that might come to mind when thinking of Mom. It's tied around the bedside table, and already holding purell, pens, remotes, kleenex, you name it.


A+ for creativity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Mollie truly is a SweetHeart! Admirable effort and has never even met my sister, yet cared enough to do this! Truly impressive gift, so well expressed in her art, too.

Nick Guerlain

Tom Smith said...

Very nice art work. And an aswesome thing she did for this wonderful lady. Thank you Mollie

Joy Banach said...

You've made Bob the Builder damn proud!!!!! Love you. Joy

I'm in Virginia right now getting mentally prepared for an interview and I wanted to wait to read the Blog for inspiration, and got it! Thank you Miss Mollie!!!!

trix said...

Babette has always had a way of bringing out the best in people! And now in Art too! Love you guys!
Trixie

Unknown said...

ACE, for A Creative Enterprise! I am so impressed. Great idea.

And Mollie, you should start selling those paintings. You are have an amazing talent. Keep up the great work but with the paintbrush and your heart.

Lissa

Planet said...

I love Mollie, and I haven't even met her. Such talent. Such love.
And Claude, that is brilliant, what inspiration!
I think we have the best friends and family circle in the world.
love,
Claire