Thursday, October 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Monica!!

So I figured I'd post again since Monica is probably flying into Logan right about now and definitely not going to post again before Monday (shout-out to Sharyn and Jeff who are getting hitched this weekend!!).

Mom's doing great. This week was her second cycle of the cocktail of four different chemotherapies. Since it's the second cycle, we now have a slight idea of what to expect: neutropenia (weak immune system, but you know that by now), thrush, cold sores, and fatigue. Dr. Donadio, our superwoman/oncologist reduced each dosage by 20% to try to control these symptoms. Mom is already starting to experience a sore throat but it didn't seem to stop her from gobbling down two eggs, a piece of toast, applesauce, and a glass of OJ for breakfast this morning! Which is good because right now is crucial calorie packing time. When the cold sores and the thrush are at their worst, getting Mom to eat is nearly impossible so her weight becomes another concern.

Another long term side effect that's emerging is loss of hearing. Mom had a really interesting appointment with an audiologist at St. Francis before chemo on Monday. The audiologist tested Mom's "outer" (her actual hearing organs) and "inner" (neurological processes that interpret signals from said hearing organs) ear functioning. Her outer ears are functioning normally. However, higher frequencies are beginning to sound distorted to her, meaning the s, t, and f sounds (there are probably more but those are the only ones I managed to write down). So, if you're ever talking to my mother, a few things to keep in mind: make sure she can see your face--particularly your lips--when you talk to her; speak slowly and clearly; if she asks you to repeat what you said, say it in a different way; and make sure there's no background noise when you talk to her (she has a hard time sorting out multiple different inputs in her brain, so just mute the music, TV, etc). This is all likely to be because of cisplatin, one of the chemotherapies Mom's getting. It's known to mess with the chemical balance that allows signals to pass from neuron to neuron, especially between the neurons that receive inputs from her outer ears. I hope that's not too much detail... quite frankly, I thought it was one of the most interesting appointments I'd ever been to with my mom!

Otherwise, today is a very special day because it is my dear sister's 28th birthday! As I said, she's spending the morning on a flight home and I'm guessing a good part of the rest of the day sleeping, but if I know Monica she'll probably wake up just long enough to eat birthday cake and ice cream.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gwennie, I am so beyond impressed with you! Your blogs are so informative - you are sounding just like Nurse Monie! Thanks for posting in Monica's absence - we missed you and Liz in Cali! Lots of love to you guys as always. I'll be sending you positive intentions in yoga this afternoon.

xoxo
chrissy

richardbreaks said...

I was lucky enough to give Monica her birthday haircut! Wishing you all the very best, and much love. All joy-Richard

Elizabeth said...

Hi from Bess and me in Rochester. We are thinking of you, Monica, on your b'day. Celebrating in spirit with peppermint ali. Hope your trip was wonderful. Also thinking of you, Liz, and you, Gwennie, and everyone in Avon. Hang in and be well -- or at least better! xoxo from E and Bessie

Tom Smith said...

Happy birthday Monica.

I was so glad tobe able to come visit.. Glad to see your smiling face Liz... hugs and kisses

trix said...

Happy belated birthday Monica! Gwennie, maybe there's a future in audiology for you? With all those loud ipods in all these kids ears, there should be a demand for audiologists soon. Food for thought:) Liz, holding you close to my heart EVERYDAT! Trixie

Claude said...

Gwennie,
Thanks for this excellent post. I guess it was a good idea I didn't call your mother today, to idle the time away while I waited for AAA to show up and jump start my van. I only had one bar on my cell.
Love, Tante Coco
Big Sis,
Loving you and sending you spiritual prayers for peace while you heal. I am grateful to be back home from Maine so I may rest with a little peace for myself as well.
Love, Biggest Little Sis

Joy Banach said...

Happy Birthday Monica. Life is a candy-store when you are in your twenties so eat away girl and don't mind the calories! And Liz, you didn't get the sore throat from me on Friday (here I was thinking of being super conscience in a panic Friday morning). Rest.

Let me know what I can do -- Love Joy