Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Chicken Crack for the Soul

I'm thinking it should be the title of my memoirs? Thoughts?

Actually no- that is what we call Carol K's chicken dish with onions, capers, and kalmata olives. It is insane, and we've received it a few times (by request) as one of our Helping Hands dishes and we love it! Just in time too, because Mom is finally able to eat without too much discomfort. Carol, if it isn't a secret, you have to send me the recipe to post to the blog.

Yesterday was long, and today we are processing. Mom woke up in a great mood. She was able to have a long conversation with Gwennie and I, and then Paul, after she'd rested and absorbed our family meeting. She is accepting, graceful, positive, and hopeful. She seems to be leaning more and more towards McLean for a variety of reasons, and everyone has said, what you want is what you get. Period. Boom. Done. (Aunt Missy, that was for you.)

But surprise!!! Guess who's baaaack! C. Diff. I kid you not. You may remember Mom's run in with c. diff in January 2008 after her kidney removal. It was miserable, and we're really hoping and have every reason to believe this time will be very different. Clostridium difficile, or "c. diff" is a bacteria that is part of the normal flora in our gut that helps with all sorts digestive function. Because Mom has been receiving very heavy duty antibiotics to protect her body from infection, these antibiotics have suppressed the body's ability to keep these bacteria in check, and c. diff has grown out of control. The side effects are diarrhea, incontinence, and colitis (swelling of the colon). It is uncomfortable, inconvenient, and a pain in the ass. Literally.

It has to be treated with 2 weeks of (what else) a heavy duty antibiotic called flagyl. Her emotional reaction to hearing this news was significant, because she associates having c. diff with all awful post-operative period years ago, but her team has assured her, that this is almost an expected complication of antibiotic therapy, and will not last forever.

This buys her at least another few days in the hospital, and if all goes according to plan, we're looking at a Thursday or Friday discharge. "If all goes according to plan..." I crack myself up.

Because her diet has been so poor, and her circulation impaired from lack of mobility, we're seeing skin breakdown in places that are virtually impossible to prevent friction. Not to over share, but frequent diarrhea and spending most of your time on one's buttocks is a lethal combination. I say this not to be graphic, but only to express the laundry list that must be attended to when caring for people. Her nursing staff has been astounding in meeting both her emotional and physical needs, but even in the hospital here, we struggle with what we are taught are preventable things. Every day the severity of her needs is made crystal clear. Ideally, she should be repositioned every hour, and spending only a third of the time on your buttocks, which means being turned side to side. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is. People are not meant to spend a long time in acute care hospitals if they don't need to, so hopefully when she is discharged we'll be able to tackle some of these issues more closely.

Now she is resting. She is loving St. Francis emails, cards, and letters. News from the outside world is a welcome distraction!

Thank you for all the supportive and thoughtful comments. I read the blog to her daily and share all the comments, and nothing could make her happier.


13 comments:

H.F. said...

So, let's go back about (GEEZ) 9 years now. First day of lacrosse pre-season. I had just transferred to Wheaton and was meeting all the girls for the first time. I walk up to a group of girls and the conversation goes something like this, "Holy sh*t. I have had the worst diarrhea all day today!" Said girl extends her hand to me (insert gross bathroom thoughts) and says, "Hi, I'm Monica, nice to meet you.

:)

Monica M. Talbot said...

Okay. First of all: I was nervous about our timed run. And sometimes nervousness translates into "agitat" and discomfort in my belly. Hence why I try to avoid dairy in stressful situations. Second of all: I have always been a devout hand-washer, so you were safe. Third of all: I have no other comments. I've just always had a way of making new-comers feel at east. It's a gift.

Claude said...

Well, at least my cat doesn't have c-diff. [n.b.: I washed my hands after collecting his stool samples from the litter box. No worries.] I'm on my way to pick him up from his annual check up. He's such an uncooperative patient that he has to be sedated. He hates the way they take his temperature. Meowwwwch! At least, while he's under, he gets his teeth cleaned and nails clipped.

Babette, although I've been very quiet, I've been with you all the way. My spirits and guides have been with yours too. In fact, I'm just about to send them down to support you in your big decision. Remember, don't ask your guardian angels to stand outside the bathroom door anymore. As hard as it is to make your decision, I wish you peace once its made.

Emmanuel, ton poeme est sublime.

Love, Claude

Anna said...

Well, since I am a middle school teacher and this type of conversation is a normal part of my day.... I am super glad my cats use the out of doors! And, I am washing my hands constantly due to all of the other potential hazards of the petri dish like environment I work in! ;-)

As a regular reader of the blog, I am appreciative of the updates. I am learning so much. The blog feels almost like a course in medicine and also in how to stay focused on enjoying life with humor. What an amazing blend. I continue to send all of my love and strength to each of you.
Paix

Tory + Jeff said...

Although I might be the most restrained of the Talbots when it comes to discussions of what happens in the bathroom, I had to share the following:

Several years ago, a number of teachers from my K-12 school were out for drinks on a Friday evening. The upper school teachers (myself included) were bemoaning the difficulties of classrooms full of obstinate, hard-headed, disrespectful teenagers. During a momentary lull in the conversation, our kindergarten teacher spoke up and contributed the following statement: "A child peed on my foot today."

Never again have I assumed that upper school students are the most challenging.

We love you, Tante, and hope we continue to find small ways to make you grin!

Much love,
Tory and Jeff

maura said...

On our first date, I told Bryan about this photograph of a half marathoner who popped himself while running. The photograph is gross, but also hilarious. I laugh out of discomfort, as I've often had to quickly run home with, er, a case of runner's stomach.

Here's a link to the photograph: It's gross. Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://blog.synthesis.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mikael.jpg

and ps. Bryan just saw the picture and said, "oh, it's a classic! at least in our household."

we love you!!

maura said...

that's pooped himself, not popped.

trix said...

You guys are "crack"ing me up! Thank you for that. Thank goodness we can find humor in the smallest, and sometimes smelliest things...can someone give me the st.frannie email to babette? I don't have it.
Trixie

Cee Bee said...

Dear Lizzie,
After reading the comments on this blog it's very clear your awesome sense of humor runs (get it? runs!) throughout your family. I don't know many other families than mine that would go off on a diarrhea tangent given the seriousness of the situation. Laughter can be the greatest medicine :)
YOU, my friend, have been sorely missed at our NAPO-CT meetings. I'm thinking of you and praying for you (and your colon) every day.
Love, Cara

maura said...

@Trix

Here is the link:

https://www.saintfrancisdoctors.com/secure/emailApatient/default.asp

It's a form you can fill out online.

m/a.m said...

Truly trying to just be brazen here. It's me missy -- sharing with your sister (hi Claude!)BIGTIME:
"Babette, although I've been very quiet, I've been with you all the way."
I really appreciate all these specifics, lovely-ladies-three. Although i think you all know i am distinctly not gifted in the remarkable ways of you all -- separately and together, i believe you also know what i'm often (at least attempting) to be about.I think you know that i believe God knows ALL the details, but i am extremely thankful for these, and i'm going about my quiet business of prayer -- very nearly non-stop -- for one and ALL. Period. Boom. Continuing! Incidently, i KNOW He has a fantastic sense of humor. What else could account for the tight, tight ties that bind we diverse ones? Oh my, how i love you ALL!

Elizabeth said...

One of your poopier blogs. Hey, did you see Bess's e-mail this morning? (Can you tell I'm changing the subject??) I want you both to buy the Sylvanian house and bust the little guys out of our attic and play on the floor together like the old days. Lots of love to all of you.

Unknown said...

Oy! Liz, you just can't catch a break here!! But I know not a single other person as tough as you, so I'm confident you'll kick C Diff out the door in no time.

With you always in spirit when not in person.

And Monica, why am I not suprised at the conversation and extension of hands I just read? You crack me up!

Hugs to you all,
Lissa