Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Farewell Old Friend

No no, not Mom, she's still kicking. More than you and I combined actually, but enough about her.

This post is dedicated to the passing of our trusty steed, the Pathfinder. Many of you have borrowed it to move children to college, or to transport a dog to the vet. Maybe you were there to pick Gwennie or I up when it died on the side of the road (multiple times). At any rate, it's been there for us, delivering us to boarding school, traveling to friends both near and far. Mom and I visited 10 colleges in 5 days in that baby. There's a strong history of taco bell drive throughs embedded in those seats.

I recently re-inherited the 1997 boat/car from my sister, and when I went to get the oil changed, was told to "save my money." 'Nuff said. It is being donated next week to be used for parts and put to pasture. Sigh.

This week I got a new car, but I'm not the only one taking to the road.

WATCH OUT! Mom has a new motorized wheelchair. I kid you not. She said she feels like she's "been given a new car too." Gwennie took video footage of the maiden voyage, so stay tuned for that.

Frankly, having her confined to a non-motorized wheelchair may have been a smarter choice. At least then we could physically rein her in (mentally, forget it). Now she's all over the place. Today she rented out the art room to hold a three hour business meeting. She is no joke. She exhausts me. I need to take a nap after visiting my mother in hospice. What is wrong with this picture?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. She is happy, eating, flourishing, loving life sans chemotherapy as she should be.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

C'mon! I just learned to steer the old one. Now I'll need to watch out for my toes, I'm thinking. Congrats on the new wheels -- to you and to your mother. Hope to connect soon. xx E

Anonymous said...

Somehow your mother never ceases to amaze me. Truly. I do think we should get some bumper stickers for that vehicle. Or at least a license...

Sad to hear about the Pathfinder. Such good times were had in that car. And may some of the stories go with the car;)

Caroline said...

The new wheels are great, except for one thing. It is operated by a hand control, and being French Babette speaks with her hands, and being sisters, we gab non-stop, so the rolling back from lunch while chatting was a little stop and go! Hysterical!

Gwennie Talbot said...

I cried. P-Finder, you'll forever be in my heart. RIP.

Claude said...

3-hour business meeting? I thought you retired. Even in retirement, you are an Ever Ready Bunny! You Go Girl! You've got so much energy it's time to write that book. Look in your medical journal for the topic. You were coming out of post-op stupor, woke up halfway, and told me you wanted to write a book. I think it was your last surgery.

Caline, that comment about talking with her driving hands cracked me up!

maura said...

Oh, the dear sweet old Pathfinder. Best of luck in your new life as parts.

Liz-- congrats on the new wheels. You continue to inspire me! xoxox

m/a.m said...

"happy, eating, flourishing, loving life" says the blog-ette. :)

So, now, a tasty mission for you -- and for all of us, really.

Any cravings?

Your order(s)please.

I'm thinking of a lunch of quiche, a fave vegie, and some scumptious dessert, but i need your direction, please.

Love you, Lady!

H.F. said...

I'm still tired from my visit last week. Watch out people! Liz Talbot is back in action. Taking names and kicking ass!

xoxo