Wednesday, February 6, 2008

So Many Treats, So Little Belly Space

Mom's friend Beth H., who loves to bake, sent a loaf of lemon pound cake, a batch of shortbread cookies, and a batch of ginger cookies with walnuts. Somehow I don't think Mom will have much of an issue increasing her caloric intake for the next few days!

She is eating so well, and very healthy, but let's face it, nothing raises the spirits like a sweet treat.

The only new development as of yesterday is that she is oficially neutropenic, meaning her mature WBC's (aka neutrophils) are below 1,000. The Neulasta injection she was given yesterday will hopefully help, but she needs to combat infection on her own as well. I'm attaching the Fever and Neutropenia Treatment Guidlines for Treating Patients with Cancer in case anyone is interested in learning a bit more about the immune system. If you don't breeze through it, here is what you need to know:

1. No one is to lay a hand on anything in Mom's house without washing their hands.
2. No fresh flowers in the house.
3. No raw ingredients, including fruits and vegtables.
4. Wash your hands.
5. Wash your hands.

I stress hand washing, yet again, because this is numero uno in preventing hand washing. It's something even I need to remind myself of when I am at home, but is crucial in keeping Mom healthy.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Monica,

Can you please post some rules for the office as well? Perhaps....

1. No one is allowed to shlepp the garbage all the way to the dumpster.

2. Bringing lunch into the office is not sanitary...therefore lunch must be ordered out/delivered every single day.

3. No passing gas in the office (that one is for Casey)

These are just a few examples.

Talbot said...

I'd just like to say that I am washing my hands even when I don't have to....and the dogs and the horses and me are really, really practicing very, very hard at not passing inappropriate vapours.

Jen -- I can't believe you used the phrase "passing gas;" that is sosototally BoHo.

Claude said...

Did ya'll know that Liz celebrates achieving her 55th year on this fascinating planet only 20 days from the date this blog was posted? What lucky people we are to be sharing the universe at the same time she is shining her light here.

...boy that sounds very flower-child like...unusual for me :)