Sunday, December 12, 2010

The End. For Now.

Well we made it. Today came and went without extremes.

Last night Gwennie and I sat on my bed and both got a little teary thinking about how we'd no longer be "within a year" of our mother. We're now officially "a year ago." Although today comes with a sigh of relief, knowing we've mastered what's considered to be a challenging milestone in mourning, there's also a sadness that because we're beyond the one-year mark, that we need to somehow be less sad, be less connected, be less frequently impacted. Mourning, remembering, and paying tribute to our mom this year as been just as much about processing the loss as keeping her close to us. So now that her death is a year less fresh, there is a fear that we need to be a year less vulnerable and a year more collected. In reality, today is just a day, like any other. There's no schedule to recovery. Expectations are a dangerous thing, and the less we expect of ourselves with respect to how we should or shouldn't feel, well that's just about the best gift we can give one another.

We started today by chowing an impressive percentage of the holiday cookies we'd made last night with Matthew and Chantel. It's a Christmas Eve tradition that Gwennie and I did the few years before Mom got sick.  There was nothing unusual about it: multiple casualties, too much red icing, not enough white, the annual "Christmas is Gay" cookie, all to the soundtrack of the 4-disc box set of Mom's beloved, Manheim Steamroller. After we sufficiently digested, we brunched at Bon Savour, a french bistro in the neighborhood that I frequented with Mom during her weekly trips to Dana Farber Cancer Center.

Then, the post-brunch ink fest took place...

We did it. Mom was forever memorialized by burning off a small layer of flesh by a dude named Lucky who's parlor was decorated with bald eagles and where Playboy is standard waiting room reading material. Lest I say, I was a champ, considering this was my inaugural sail. Gwennie is now a seasoned veteran.



About three years ago I took a series of classes in integrative health practice, largely at the encouragement of my mother. At the end of our Reiki I class, the Reiki masters had us sit in an outward-facing circle with our feet on the ground and eyes closed. They weaved in and out of us, placing their hands on our shoulders, moving from student to student, as if to share this new energy that we'd each been empowered with. Quietly and lovingly, one of the masters then opened my hands, scribed a reiki symbol on my palms, closed them together, and brought my hands to my heart. I sat there in silence, with my hands on my heart and tears rolling down my face.

For all the eye-rolls I'd given my mother about her trips to the New Age Spa, I found my attunement as a Reiki practitioner, unexpectedly emotional. I love Reiki because it is something that surprised me. It meant something to my mother, which she taught to me. It's something I share with my patients and their parents. It's something I brought with me to Haiti, when I had very little else to offer. It's something I can do to myself when I need to breathe. And above and beyond all, it's something I practiced on my mother that she loved.

I remember, after her Ommaya port was placed, doing that very symbol on her bald, sutured head, and whether she said it to make me feel better (as mother's often do), or because it really worked, she said it made a world of difference in her pain. My tattoo will remind me of my mother, of what we shared, and that I want to remain dedicated to the simple power of touch between one human and another, as a means of connection and healing. Not to mention, it ups my badass factor by at least a solid 25 percent.













Gwennie's tattoo is simply: maman, which is "mother" in French. It's what she called our mother, and what our mother called her mother. There's no long explanation to its meaning or mystery to the importance of the word. She traced the letters from one of Mom's journals so it has her touch, and there it will be forever, even though she is not.


And there you have it: a year that started with the loss of the most phenomenal, influential, and significant woman of our lives, and ended with croissants and tattoos. If there is anything I take away from these 365 days, it's gratitude. For my friends, young and old, from all walks of life, who despite my not returning their calls/emails/texts because school had me trapped in the library, thank you. For my father, who is now fielding way more "I'm not sure what to do with my life" phone calls then I think I even dumped on my mother. For my teacher, who despite seeing me almost fail repeatedly, kept reminding me that I am good at what I do, and thanks to her, I am one semester away from graduating. Thank you, to my manager and co-workers, who've made countless switches and accommodations for me to be with my mother, and even in the year following when I needed. My family, who keep my mother living in their daily lives and never shy away from reminding us of who she was, thank you.


To my Matthew, who met me not two months before my mother's condition became terminal, but who never swayed, never flinched, never broke. Thank you, for not taking me up on the countless number of outs I tried to give you in the beginning, for spending hours hugging me and catching tears and snot all over your shoulders, and for being the partner dreams are made of.


And my dear, wonderful, absurdly amazing and strong sister. I asked her once to please, just take care of herself, make smart choices, and not give me anything to worry about, because I couldn't handle one more mess to have to clean-up. She's exceeded my every expectation and I would have never survived this without her.

10 comments:

Jenna-Malia Pasicznyk said...

Monica, you are such a picture of beauty, strength, and inspiration. Namaste. xoxo

Unknown said...

Tears rolling and yet always inspired by you Monica! Beautiful blog! You have endured and become stronger and even more amazing! (If thats even possible.) :)Lots of love your way, and.....rock on sister! Nice tattoo!
Xo
Kasia.

Tory + Jeff said...

I know it may need to be the end, for now, of the blog. I respect that. But please, please don't let it be the end of you writing. You have a gift with words--and I savor this blog not just to remember Tante, but also to have something beautiful to read.

We love you!

xoxo
Team Virchow

Unknown said...

Monica, thanks for sharing the pictures. It is good to see for myself that you and Gwennie look great.

You make me cry, laugh, and so thankful and honored to have been part of your journey.

I am thankful you and Gwennie have not put any socially-imposed boundries on your grieving process. Yes, you made it through the first year, but that does not mean you miss your mother any less. You and Gwennie are amazing living reflections of your mother's spirit, wit, and enthusiasm every day.

Although your mother may not have been thrilled with it, I love that you sealed the year with tatoos!

Hugs and love to you all.

Lissa

Marge Fisher said...

Hi Gwennie and Monica,
Thought you might like to know that this is posted on my facebook page in your mom's memory:
most people have 1000 wishes for Christmas; a cancer patient only has one, to get better. In honor of someone who has died, or is still fighting, or survived cancer.

Holidays can be tough - all about beginnings and endings. You're in my thoughts.

Stephanie said...

Wow. Monica, I am in VT at our annual New Year's Eve family get together, and you're not here, but Gwennie is and I just happened to need to find an internet site to see if my internet connection was working here at the oh so hip and lovely Hilltop Inn (actually, it's really perfect for what we all need when up here at Thierry's, don't want to downplay the Hilltop too much!).

Anyhoo, I hadn't really connected with you guys in a while, have left a few emails/phone messages along the way, and I've been doing very well in many ways but eating, eating, and eating for the past two months. I don't know if it's related, but I think it's been my way of grieving for Babette in some unconscious way. I still have the memorial service flyer (I'm sure it has an official name) but you know what I'm talking about. It has a picture of Babette on the cover, it's what you passed out at her service. It sits front and center on our kitchen back splash, on the shelf between the plants, the dish soap dispenser, and whatever else gets plonked on the shelf above the kitchen sink. So, every day when I wash my hands, or look out the window onto the garden, or come in, or go out, I can see her. Once a week or so I really see her and pause and reflect. It has some splatters on it, and I'm thinking I'll need another copy in a year or so, because it will really start to be looking grungy by then.

Anyway, back to the Hilltop. Bob and I arrived this morning in VT, Thierry and Nick picked us up. We got back to the house after a while (we ran out of gas on the way home from the airport but conveniently right near a restaurant where I started today's non-stop ingestion of food and drink). Since the cleaning lady was still cleaning Thierry's house just in time for all 31 of us to come and inundate it, Nick, Bob and I went over to the Hilltop to check in. We dumped our stuff and I noticed they had free wireless. Bonus. Something to check out later when we got back....

So, we went back over to the house, Kimberly and Claude had arrived, and were in the kitchen already starting work on tonight's dinner. They conveniently had already made, and I kid you not, not one but two vats of dip each with a bowl of chips. After eating tons of it, I was extremely thankful Eric was suggesting a walk into town. Bob, Nick and I joined him and we did the downtown Montpelier thing. I walked back eventually, and more had arrived and were arriving.

This year's game is going to be Bananagrams. During various rounds, the Feroleto's arrived, the rest of the Denoyers, Peter and his kids, the Tatgenhorsts, and Gwennie and Chantel.

All the kids have grown a foot since last year. I discovered that Helena, Steph and Mike are all juniors and are starting to apply to colleges... Are you not coming? I haven't paid any attention to the rsvp list. But trying to explain to others the New Year's Eve get together tradition. "Well, it's where all my brothers and sisters and their families get together. I have 7 brothers and sisters and they're all married and have kids, well, not really, because my one sister died last year..." it's those little things. I still compose emails like that, "Nick, Thierry, Babette, well, no, Claude, Peter, Natalie, Caline...", it's very bizarre. It's not right. You can't do the list in any other way. My mother used to even have trouble saying my name, being the last of 8, if she started with any other child's name besides mine by accident, she'd have to go through the whole list in order to get to mine. In fact, I always regretted having so many siblings (not really) when I was little and being fed something icky, "One for Nicky... One for Thierry... One for Babette..., One for Claude..." It's not fair! I have to have a minimum of 7 bites of every despicable food item!!

Stephanie said...

So, what's all this got to do with anything? After a big dinner, and people everywhere, you know the drill, seeing various family members sitting on the couch in the living room where I very clearly remember you, Babette, Gwennie and Pat sitting there together two years ago, I MISS YOU, and seeing all four of you together, I'm so glad you did that get together, I'm sure you had zillions of others but we got to share in on that one and I know it's probably because you're working, but I really do hope that you and Pat will continue to join us on our family get togethers and this is just my way of bringing you both here in spirit.

So, I got back to the Hilltop tonight and was trying to see if the internet was working and I needed to find an internet site so I happened to pull down my "Bookmarks" and found for some reason the Supermamasan that I didn't even know I'd bookmarked (because I just used to type "Super" into my url address bar when checking the blog) and found all these new posts from this past year. I didn't know they were there. Needless to say, I have a very red nose, I've used up all the tissues in the Hilltop's bathroom. Thank God Bob's asleep. I'm so glad you posted them because I'd really put this all on the back burner. I'm so far from the family and don't see everyone except at these get togethers. So, you and your dad are definitely here in spirit and of course your mom, and my mom who came that year of Thierry's 50th surprise birthday party, along with Claude and Scott and kids all the way from France!

So, I just wanted to share with you our first day of the weekend and hope that you actually are coming and I'll be all embarrassed that I wrote this assuming that you weren't or couldn't, but even if you can't, we'll call and surprise you.

Unknown said...

What a blessing you two are! I am with my Mom now caring for her at the end of her life and empathize your journey -- although it was a year and a half the three of us (me, my Mom and Liz) were around my kitchen table "bonding" it feels like yesterday. I am blessed to have a chance to care for my Mom, as not only a daughter but as a friend, as the two of you did for yours. I don't know about my following your path of getting a tattoo though . . . Joy Banach

Anne de Barcza said...

dear monica & gwennie,

love you both, love the tattoos, love the blog and will miss it but you need to do what you need to do. And agree with someone who said you have a gift for writing and expressing things that most of us can't even begin to put into words.

You will never stop missing your "maman" and that's ok, it just might hurt less from time to time.

Sending you much love & peace in this new year.
xoxo anne-charlotte

fjdeac said...

Monica,

I just stumbled across this and I wanted to relay my condolences. I always remembered your mom fondly from our brief encounters.

I will always remember when at 17 she tossed me the keys to the Talbot family Jetta to drive from Colinsville to Farmington pick up their eldest daughter from school. She was not phased at all by the fact that it was my 2nd time ever driving a standard transmission or that a dandy of a CT snow storm was brewing outside.

Somehow we made it and I will always remember that as the first time a "parent" ever really trusted me. Great memories!

All the best to you and Gwennie.

Jeff D.