Monday, May 18, 2009

Chemo Bad. Chocolate Shake Good.

In true form, Mom rocked the chemo today! She chewed it up and spit it out. No big deal.

The infusion was only an hour, and unlike the previous chemo drugs she'd received, she didn't require tons of hydration before or after. They'd done that last time to make sure her kidney was well flushed, but thankfully this chemo is far less toxic to the kidneys ("nephrotoxic" if you want to impress you friends).

She also popped the test drug today. We have no idea if it's the drug or a placebo, but we did a little "please work" dance anyway.

After the infusion her blood pressure was through the roof. Enter the chocolate shake, which after imbibing and resting for an hour, her blood pressure was well on its way to normal. I might be a genius.

So now she's snuggled in bed with tylenol PM on board. Gwennie and I are bonding on the couches, and by bonding, I means she's on her computer and I'm on my computer and we're chatting via facebook. Gotta love technology and how it brings us all closer together.

Next step, she'll continue to take the pill daily, in 8 days she'll have a follow up EKG which measures heart conduction, and in 21 days from today, she'll be back at Dana Farber for cycle 2! I'll be sure to let you all know how she's doing. 

Thank you again for all the love ~

1 comment:

Claude said...

Monica,
Papa and I were wondering if you could explain the importance of potassium levels in this picture. Why was there a need for a potassium infusion? Is it to protect the heart? The kidney? The reason I ask is that several years ago I was started on a high blood pressure med(HCTZ). When subsequent blood tests showed it knocked my potassium level down too low, I was switched to a different one (Triam/HCTZ). Are potassium levels knocked out of whack when you have cancer, or are they knocked out by certain meds? Why was Liz' level so off the scale to require a transfusion? Maybe this question is too complicated for this blog. Feel free to say so.

Maybe those chocolate shakes should be banana splits? :)
Aunt Coco/Claude